The National Association of Negro Musicians (NANM), Inc. is an organization that had its beginning May 3, 1919 in Washington, D.C. at a temporary initial conference of Negro Musicians. NANM Inc. is an organization supported by people of cultural ideals and musicians of high standard who care deeply for the fine art of music and musical culture throughout the country. These persons lend their support and influence to one of the most powerful forces for spiritual and cultural development. In NANM Inc, educators and professional musicians share their musical knowledge, amateurs and enthusiasts grow in their musical enjoyment, and people of all ages and races come together to participate in the total experience that is music.
- To assist in maintaining a world in which all people may live in peace and harmony.
- To develop world-wide love and appreciation of traditional contemporary Negro music
- To foster a larger public appreciation for education in good music as preparation for the advent of real Negro genius.
- To encourage the use of Negro Folk Themes as a basis for compositions.
- To resist the desecration of Negro spirituals.
- To develop higher professional standards through lectures, conferences, and conventions.
- To promote the exchange of ideas and a spirit of fellowship among musicians.
- To create wider opportunities for Negro artists and musicians.
- To discover, encourage, and assist the cultivation of musical gifts among talented, deserving Negro youth through such activities as will extend the influence of music as a necessary and inspiring element in the life of the people.
- To establish and maintain a fund for scholarship.
National Association of Negro Musicians, Inc.
931 Monroe Drive NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30308
NANM Western Region Chapters (Individual Scholarships):
Edna Hammett Porter
11431 E. Stapleton Ct.
Cerritos, CA 90703
Bettye Randle, President
George Robert Garner, III
PO Box 90793
Pasadena, CA 91109
Samuel Walker, President
Georgia Laster Branch
3309 West 82nd St
Inglewood, CA 90305
Henrietta L. Fortson
PO Box 31162
Oakland , CA 94604
Mary Y. Napoleon, President
Jester Hairston Music Association, Inc.
PO Box 371642
Las Vegas, Nevada 89137
R. Charles, Board President